Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011: Ten Years Later

Since I print this blog, I wanted to document the Tenth Anniversary of September 11, 2001.

I don't remember much from yesterday, let alone 10 years ago, but I can remember vividly this day.

I had gone to Stillwater to stay the night with one of my best friends, Connie. The morning of the 11th, she came into the living room, I was sleeping on the couch, woke me up and said a plane hit one of the World Trade Center buildings. I can remember I was still asleep and I honestly paid no attention to watch she was saying. I wasn't familiar with NYC buildings, their size or location, let alone the comparison of the buildings to an huge airplane.

When I didn't pay her any attention, she snapped, "It's a big deal Megan." It was in that moment that I figured I had better get up. I don't remember if I saw the second plane hit. Those memories are clouded by all the images that have filled my mind and heart for the last 10 years.

I remember the mass chaos at the gas station as I was trying to get back to Edmond to school and my apartment. I remember going to class either that day or the next and the teacher was very somber. She was upset because her husband was so close to being able to retire from the military and she knew that he was going to get the 'call.' She cancelled class and told us to go home and be with our families.

I've spent most of today avoiding everything that has to do with September 11. I feel bad saying that, but I have a good reason. It haunted me, those images, they still do! I can see it all if I think about it. I can feel that same feeling I had 10 years ago. The knot in my throat, it creeps up on me and I don't like it. I can remember what happened that day therefore, I don't need to see any pictures, slideshows, tributes,  Presidents, past or present, people mourning.... All of that makes me sick, literally sick to my stomach.

So today, I spent loving on my family, serving my church and eating. Those things are small things, but a huge sacrifice was paid for me to get to do those small things.

I thank all those that have fought, have died and will fight again tomorrow for me to be here now.

1 comment:

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14