Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"Mmm, Good" Recipe

Once a month, I attend a ladies group. I'm usually the youngest by a few years, but I really enjoy being around those gals. They have much wisdom and many recipes.

November's group was a 'Soup'er Luncheon. There were four different soups that we got to try. The ladies that made the soups shared their recipes with us. This was a favorite, so I thought I'd share.

Chicken-N-Rice Soup (Makes 10-12cups) *This makes at least 2 dinners and 2 lunches for Matt and I.*

1 store bought rotisserie chicken, de-boned & torn into large bite sized pieces
1 lg onion chopped *I chop half the onion very fine*
2-3 carrots, diced *I sub the store bought shredded carrots in the produce section. They are called 'Matchstick' style carrots. I use 3/4 of the bag.*
2-3 ribs of celery, diced *I use more*

Saute vegetables in 1 stick of butter (no sub) until tender
Add: 2 tsp each- dried thyme, poultry seasoning, 1tsp pepper, no salt *I only add pepper and I do add a dash of salt to the saute-ing veggies.*

Saute 2-3 minutes longer, then add the chicken pieces and stir 1-2 minutes.
Add 1 can cream of chicken soup and stir, then add 8 cups of chicken broth. *There is a 48oz thing of broth in the grocery store. I've added 10 cups so it would make more meals.*

Let simmer. Taste, if it needs salt, add chicken broth cubes. If it is too salty, add a little water. *Mine never needs anything.*

While soup is simmering, cook 1 (4-6 ounces) box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain Wild Rice according to package directions. Add to soup mixture and stir.

Let simmer about 10 minutes and serve. *Very yummy with Saltine Crackers*

I do not normally like carrots or celery, but this recipe is so yummy. The celery is tender and not crunchy and the flavor is slightly buttery. I make this when there are a few nights in a row that I can tell I am not going to be in the cooking mood.

Try it and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. oh that sounds YUMMY. That may end up on my next menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM I must try! Thanks! I just got a copy of the Poineer Woman's cookbook yesterday with special thanks to Amanda. I'm excited to try!

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14