Monday, March 15, 2010

Whispers

Last December, Bill Hybels spoke at my church, lifechurch.tv. I didn't see the original sermon, but I ran across it today on lifechurch's podcast. I had just finished with one of Craig's sermons and in it he spoke of Bill Hybels. After I finished with Craig, I wanted to listen to another. I scrolled through the podcasts and ran across Bill's. I missed church the weekend he spoke, the kids were still napping, so I listened...

Bill opened with a story from Samuel.

4 Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.”

5 And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down.


6 Again the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” “My son,” Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.”

7 Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him.

8 The Lord called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy.

9 So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’ ” So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

10 The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”

He gave examples from his life where God had whispered to him. He could trace back things that had happened in his life, things that were great, all to whispers from the Lord. (For the bulk of all of this, listen to Bill's sermon here. It's only 30 minutes.)

It all got me thinking. I am tracing my steps.

I am pondering where I am today and what whispers from God I heeded. I know there are many I have not listened to or even heard, but I am praying that going forward I am more like Samuel.

"Speak, for your servant, Megan, is listening."

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14