Monday, September 20, 2010

My Storehouse Is Full

Went to the grocery store today. I got a lot of food. My cupboards were full, fridge was stocked and I even bought some tasty sweets for me during the kid's naptime.

While unloading the groceries, I thought about all the children in Pakistan that are literally starving.

(This is gonna get real. Matt doesn't like to talk about this stuff because it hurts his heart. It hurts mine to, so much I cry, BUT not talking about it doesn't fix OR help. We can not stick our heads in the sand, avoid the news and say, "Oh really? Didn't know." We are obligated to help.)

I read a story, here is a blip,

Suhani Bunglani fans flies away from her two baby girls as one sleeps motionless while the other stares without blinking at the roof of their tent, her empty belly bulging beneath a green flowered shirt. Their newborn sister already died on the ground inside this steamy shelter at just 4 days old, after the family's escape from violent floods that drowned a huge swath of Pakistan. Now the girls, ages 1 and 2, are slowly starving, with shriveled arms and legs as fragile as twigs.

Make you sick to your full stomach? Yep, it had the same effect on me.

The debate I'm having as I write this is, "Do I post a picture of one of these kids or spare you the pain it will cause your heart?" I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure you'll get it otherwise. But we'll see.

A woman loses her newborn because she has no food to nourish herself so she can nurse! We live in a world where I complain about no pumpkin puree at the store, when thousands of miles away a woman is covering her child because it died from starvation!

I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty. I'm not. That is not my intentions. My intentions are to bring this to light. To shine a spotlight on it. I was unaware the flooding in Pakistan was so severe. Why was I unaware? Because I refused to read, I didn't want to be sad.

Well, sad sad things happen. Some things we can't change and some things we can try to change.

This is becoming lengthy and for that I'm only barely sorry.

I went to bed last night asking myself how can I help? Well, I found it this morning. It dropped right into my lap, so I knew I had to help.

I'm dropping it right into your lap so you too can help.

I donated on the governments website.

I donated $5.00. $5.00!! You can also donate $10 or $40.

Here is the site. Once there if you scroll down it will tell you where your money will go.

Here is another site that lists all the organizations that are helping and how you can donate to them if you'd prefer.

All I ask is you donate.

Now go! (I went ahead and hyperlinked two organizations. If you click above where it says, "Here is another site." That has a bunch of org's with websites and phone numbers to donate.)

Red Cross

Save The Children

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14