Friday, February 25, 2011

Book Review: Heaven Is For Real

"What do you think heaven is like?"

I asked my four year old this question to see what she would say,

"Umm, I don't know... God?"

I would assume that's your basic four year old answer. If you were to catch your average four year old on a good day, after a nap, eating a snack, you might get a more elaborate answer. Perhaps, they would say they think there are snacks in heaven or unicorns or trains. Think of something completely random and that's probably what a four year old would say about heaven. Of course if you are Colton Burpo, then you have an answer for what heaven is like.

I was a little skeptical when I bought this book. Not because I don't believe in heaven. That is so far from the truth. I believe in heaven and hell and I know I'm going to heaven because I believe Jesus died for my sins, rose three days later and is coming again. If you don't believe that, you won't be seeing what this little boy saw.

But I digress.

I don't really know why I was so hesitant to read this book. I think because there was so much chatter about it. I didn't know if the chatter was sincere or just people pushing a book with a cute little boy on the front.

I decided I would succumb to the chatter and buy it, plus it was cheap, so if it was a snore, I wouldn't be out much.

Enter the part where I get all excited and you think I've lost it.

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!

A story told through the eyes of a child is always a fun story.

Now have a four year old, who has seen heaven, tell you what heaven is like through their eyes. AMAZING!

Colton, the little boy on the front of the book, was in heaven for a few minutes, the book says but I'm not going to divulge details, and through out the book we get to see what little Colton saw.

I really want to tell you everything this little boy saw because it's so cool, for lack of a better adjective, but I don't want to say too much because if I get started talking about content, I will spoil the fun of reading it.

So I will leave you with this. I don't need to visit heaven to believe in it's existence. I don't need to be like Thomas and see the marks in his hands to believe he died on the cross. I didn't need to be at the tomb when the stone was rolled away to believe he was not there. Why? One word my friends-

FAITH.

(I read this book as part of my goal in 2011 of reading 26 books in 52 weeks.)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED THIS BOOK TOO!!! You just can't tell someone how awesome it was- it is one that just has to be read!!

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14