Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Did you feel it?"

"Did you feel it?"

That will be the question every Oklahoman asks one another for the next few days. Instead of "How are you doing?" People will inquire if you felt the earth tremble. If you didn't you will feel a little hint of shame and embarrassment. If you did, you will have stories to swap that will most likely resemble the story of the other person you are story swapping with. "Ya, the house shook. I freaked. Have a good day."

If you are an OSU fan, you probably cracked some ridiculous joke on how God is a Pokes fan and he was jumping up and down in celebration. If you are like me and just got done watching OSU win, in a rather ugly fashion, and had moved on to the local news, you probably felt and heard what I felt and heard.

I thought the Life Flight helicopter was approaching the nearby hospital. I muted the TV to listen, it sounded louder than normal. Then I began to hear the air rumble. Then I thought the helicopter landed on my house. Then I jumped up, screamed, "HOLY CRAP!", ran to the bathroom and yelled at Matt that it was an earthquake, he responded in pure Matt fashion with, "Oh ya, is that what that is?" I proceeded to do the right and proper thing; head to Twitter and Facebook. I had to beat everyone to the posting/update punch. Then I ran outside to freak with the neighbors, only I was the only one there.

(The following was taken from USGS.gov)

Magnitude 5.6 - OKLAHOMA

2011 November 06 03:53:10 UTC

Earthquake Details

  • This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude5.6
Date-Time
Location35.599°N, 96.752°W
Depth5 km (3.1 miles)
RegionOKLAHOMA
Distances34 km (21 miles) NNE of Shawnee, Oklahoma
63 km (39 miles) SSE of Stillwater, Oklahoma
68 km (42 miles) ESE of Guthrie, Oklahoma
71 km (44 miles) ENE of OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 13.9 km (8.6 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
ParametersNST=298, Nph=298, Dmin=208.2 km, Rmss=1.54 sec, Gp= 22°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9


No comments:

Post a Comment

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14