Sunday, July 18, 2010

MONEY!

If you had grown up in my house and had ridden in my dad's blue chevy Silverado, you would have heard a plethora of Pink Floyd, Queen and KMOD. At the time, I was a teenager and didn't care for Pink Floyd. Now that I'm older, I'm a lover of their music. So the title to this post comes from their song. Anytime I say the word, "money" I have to say it the way they do in the song.... MONEY!

I wrote about living out Hebrews 13:16 "But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased."

...and someone leaving 2 gift cards on our vehicle. But now I want to tell you what I learned from that experience.

The day the gift cards arrived, I was really wanting an air popcorn maker.

When the gift cards arrived, I'm not gonna lie, my gut reaction was, "Let's go get an air popper."

Matt was not having it and if I really stopped and ignored my craving, I knew it was the wrong thing to do.

But I learned something at that moment.

I realized I cherished that $65 so much because I knew where it came from. I wanted to use that money in a way that would be pleasing to the people that sacrificed and in a way that would be pleasing to God. I wanted to spend it wisely.

The question I asked myself was this, "Do you cherish and appreciate the paychecks we get twice a month as much as you are appreciating these gift cards?"

The answer is "No."

I mean, I appreciate and am VERY thankful Matt has a job. That wasn't the issue. The issue stirring was the fact that I haven't been seeing the paychecks in the same light as the gift cards. Both come from the same place.

We don't spend our money frivously, but I sure do not look at it and ask, "How can I spend this in a way that is pleasing to God?"

We have always tithed, we now have a Compassion Child, we offer to pay for people's things, BUT I don't look at the money and say, "Lord, help me to use this wisely."

I realize that a blessing in gift cards or a blessing in paychecks is all the same blessing. Use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14