Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Entertaining Angels

Started a new book in my Bible Study group. It's funny how God hits you in the face with something. It's like the Jeff Foxworthy joke, "Here's your sign." I opened up the first page to the study and this is the verse that is the running theme for the study:

"For even the son of man came not to be served but to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many." -Mark 10:45

"Here's your sign, Megan."

I have the best neighbors. The. Best. And they are moving. Let's not talk about it or I'm gonna cry. They are such wonderful examples of what it means to 'serve others.' They have been serving Matt and I since they unloaded their stuff in the house across the street. I won't go in to what they do because they are a low key type people, but I will say they work their booties off to spread the Gospel to all nations. I have learned so much from them and am challenged daily. I clearly see how much of a slacker I am when I look at their hearts for God & spreading His Word. They will deny all the accolades, but I am here to tell you, they work hard and sacrifice much.

When an opportunity arose in our neighborhood to help someone, they were all over it. I, being the Christ follower I am, stuck my head in the proverbial sand with my large butt in the air.

When the opportunity came to my house on Sunday morning, as we are rushing out of the door, running late as usual, to my nieces baptism, I realized I had better heed The Whisper or dodge the lightening bolt later and God doesn't miss. Ultimately, it's not about baptisms, being at church on time, singing songs, listening to sermons or being nice.

I AM the church. WE are the church.

I may not be able to pack the suitcase, head to an impoverished country and serve, BUT I CAN meet the needs of the person standing on my porch. Writing a check is easy, but letting people write on your heart the amount of their need, now that's just hard. But it needs to be done, so offer them the pen.

I'm so very thankful to my friends for, without realizing, challenging me to step up my game for God because:

"Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!" -Hebrews 13:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14