Monday, December 1, 2008

Gobble, Gobble No More

I love the holidays. I loved them as a kid, but for the obvious reasons; presents. Now that I'm old-er, not old, I look forward to everyone getting together.

Growing up, Thanksgiving and Christmas were the 2 big holidays, like in most families. When my parents divorced it became a game of sorts. "Who do I need to see now? How long should I stay at their house? Who did I see first last year? Will their feelings be hurt if I don't cook?" I always feel like I am trying to make my mom and my dad happy; tough dance to dance.

I really look forward to Matt's family get-togethers. I guess I miss that 'familiness.' I really miss my parents being married, but well "that's stagnant water under the bridge" as they say. Well, maybe that isn't what they say.

Now that I have children, I am determined to start traditions and teach them what it's all about. Sooo this turkey day, we hopped in our mini, van that is, and jetted to Mounds to see Matt's side of the fam. We spent Thursday night, as did 3 of Matt's siblings and their families. *it was very loud very early* On Friday I drank 100 cups of coffee, due to the lack of sleep, and ate pecan pie for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. No joke. I am a pecan pie junkie. I fell off the 'eating good wagon' for 2 days. Ahh well, it'll come around to pick me up again soon.

Saturday afternoon, my mom, sister and her kids came over to eat and play guitar hero, my new obsession. I didn't want to cook, my kitchen isn't 'cooking friendly,' so we ordered a dinner from Reasor's. I must say it was very tasty and all we had to do was re-heat!

Sunday was spent recovering. The kids didn't get to sleep as much as they normally do and they were tired. Cooper slept most of Sunday. I got to go grocery shopping. I'm learning to embrace that time. I started listening to sermons, preaching and music while I shop. It's nice not hearing 'beep, beep, beep' and 'erk, erk erk' and 'clean-up on aisle 9.'

I hope everyone had a good turkey day.
(The slideshow thing will not work and I am about to break something, so it is in its own post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14