Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Forgotten Simplicities

Growing up, my grandmother was a stickler for 'thank you' cards. It drove my mom crazy how important the card was to my grandma. For me, I didn't mind.

Now that I'm older, and wiser *haha* I see the importance of a note arriving in the mail.

In this day of texting, emailing, IMing, eviting and running to a fro, I have started to reflect a little on the simplicities of a note.

In the mail recently, the kids received invites to some birthday parties. At the time, I didn't think anything about it, the fact that it arrived in the mail, it just made sense. Then a few days ago, I was told that Matt and I were missed at a surprise birthday party. We were missed b/c the friend had an old email address for me.

About a month ago, I got a phone call asking me if I knew a college buddy was pregnant. I was shocked, I hadn't heard. Why hadn't I heard? It was announced over facebook, FACEBOOK!!

At least two times, someone sent a text that contained highly exciting news, ie. pregnancy, engagement. And I didn't receive either. (This was before we took the leap and added texting to our plan.)

It seems too much in life hinges on the hope and belief that someone checks their email, or their computer is still working, or they even have facebook (I do not), texting and such.

I do agree there are certain things that etiquettly speaking could be sent via the internet. For example, an animals birthday, the death of such animal, possibly you soliciting advice from people, or just a simple "I hate you" email. (That's personal, but a joke.) But nothing should be sent via internet that is more personal than the examples I just laid out for you.

I was lying in bed last night and this topic kept me awake. I asked Matt, "Do you think if a parent asked their child to physically write a thank you card to so and so, the child would know what the parent was talking about?"
"Uhh, probably not." He said half asleep. It drives him nuts that I get all philosophical at 10:30 at night.

Not once have I used the evite thing although I have received many, and I'm not hatin', well maybe a little, but I'm just flabbergasted by the little things in life that have been forgotten and 'made better'...

...so we think.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. You know it's sad...
    my husband is a youth pastor and we have noticed in the past 5 years or so that kids can't communicate in person because they are so used to just texting or emailing their feelings. Kids are breaking up with each other via text, asking their parents permission to do something via email. And even though this technology is great...it's sad that kids and even some adults are using it as a crutch. Thats my feelings on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left you a comment, but it said the action had already been performed. To paraphrase: I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'd rather receive something personal than be mass texted, Facebooked or other words that shouldn't be verbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told Matt that I should start sending virtual gifts to those who send me virtual invites or announcements...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you 100%! It's disheartening how "impersonal" things have become b/c of a lack of "communication." Also, please forgive me for never emailing you back - no good excuse - I'm sorry. I really enjoy reading your blog and your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is definitely something lost when we stop sending stuff in the mail. Personally, I love receiving stuff snail mail!

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14