Friday, April 29, 2011

Review: Love Wins

There has been a lot of twitter chatter about Rob Bell's new book Love Wins.

I wanted to find out for myself if what was being said, he's a universalist, was true.

My answer: ummmmm

I started the book, stopped the book, wanted to throw away the book, read some more, stopped, used it as a doily, read some more, let my kids use it as a train station, read some more....... and I'm still not finished.

It has taken me this long because I'm confused.

I feel like his ideals are so analytical of the Bible that it makes no sense. It seems like Bell feels he's actually adding something profound to the Christian ideals and philosophy.

His misuse of Scripture in the very beginning soured my heart to the rest of the book. I can not stand when Scripture is twisted to meet another persons philosophy.

I don't feel like when God wrote the Bible he said, "Oh wait until I bring you Rob Bell, he will have the answers to what I really meant within the pages."

I love Bell's Nooma videos, they are wonderful, but the book. Yeah, don't waste your money or your brain cells. I'd write a better review, but my mind doesn't work like his. I'm a simple believer.

Here is a review, from RELEVANT Magazine,  that pretty much sums up my feelings.

**Book number 8 in my #26in52**

1 comment:

  1. Thanks I appreciate the review. It's often hard to figure out what to say about something that doesn't stir us. I'm glad to be saved from frustration.

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14