Friday, July 18, 2008

"Shut Your Pie Hole"

Mrs. Cole.
She was my 12th grade English teacher. The most popular teacher at Cleveland High and famous for her many quirks and sayings. "Shut your pie hole," would probably be her number one saying. There was one word you could say to get kicked out of her class and on her 'go to Hell, you're not going to pass this class' list. The word was 'retarded.' No matter what context you were using it, if you were calling someone that word or if you were referring to the redundant work school required. No matter what you meant, if you let that word slip, you had better hit the deck because she was going to launch looks, books and words at you. I don't recall ever saying that word, I didn't like that word before I met Mrs. Cole. After meeting her, I still don't use that word. If I hear someone say it I will often hit the deck myself while looking around for Mrs. Cole to throw some thing at the person who dared say that word.

I'm not sure why I'm even sharing this ridiculous story. I was laying in bed last night trying to think of something to write about and for some reason the phrase, "shut your pie hole," popped into my head. I can't remember how I was going to tie that phrase into an entry. I think it had something to do with my annoying sarcasm.

Matt may ask me a question and apparently I throw this look at him that makes him feel belittled and I usually follow that look with words that make him feel even worse. I don't mean to be that way, it just comes out. My parents weren't sarcastic with my sister and I. My only guess is that sometimes Matt will ask me a question or make a statement and nine times out of ten he just rewords something I already said. In my mind, that means he wasn't listening to me, so he'll get a sarcastic comment for having deaf ears. ;)

He sure is a good husband. I think any other man would have taken off down the street or curled up in a ball crying because I hurt their feelings. Not Matt, I think he's starting to come up with his own comebacks and I'm starting to tame my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14