In February of 2000, a guy named Sam Roberts came to UCO and spoke to our FCA huddle. Sam worked, and still does, for Lifechurch.tv. Back then it wasn't as large of a church, but it was up and coming. I started going to that church in 1999, so I knew who Sam was.
Anyways, he spoke about what he thought were the 8 pathways to God and how every Christian doesn't 'meet/learn/feel close to' God the same way.
This was HUGE for me. I always felt guilty that I didn't get from scripture what my roommate got. The words didn't jump off the page for me like they did for her. I thought, "Man, what am I doing wrong? Why am I not feeling close to God like she is when she reads her Bible? How come tears don't flow from my eyes when I read like they flow from hers?"
I have remembered this talk for the past nine years, BUT I could NEVER remember all 8 pathways. I only could remember the two that had applied to me; still do. Well, God is funny.
Our local cable company, has a channel. On that channel they run ads for non-profits wanting to get the word out on an upcoming event. I read that a local church was going to start a Beth Moore study called Believing God. I knew I had the book, so I thought I would start reading it and see if it was any good. Yesterday, I grabbed the book and opened it up. Inside were the notes I took back in February of 2000! Eureka!!!
So I want to share with you Sam's sermon from that night. Enjoy.
- Relational - in solitude, in a community (Hebrews 10:25) "I equate this NOW to being in a life group."
- Intellectual - mind is fully engaged, likes challenging things, brilliant "I equate this to a philosophical person."
- Servant/Serving - doing things for others, volunteering (Mark 10:45)
- Contemplative - song writers, poets, daydreamers (Ps. 46:10) "Read the verse and it will make sense."
- Activist - adrenaline junkies, love to be active, likes tasks that no one else will do. "This reminds me NOW of the guy who wrote Under The Overpass." (a must read)
- Creation/ Nature - likes nature things, sunsets, animals (Ps. 96:11-12)
- Worship- during worship time (Judges 5:3)
- Giving - feel God has blessed them, wants to give everything, time and talents. (2Cor. 9:7)
Back then numbers 6 & 7 applied. But I think as I have matured into a 'stronger' yet at times slacking Christian, more of these apply. I would venture to say, as I mature as a Christian, soon I will be able to meet God through all 8 Pathways to Him.
My pathways today, 2009, are still 6 & 7 and 2, 3 & 8.
What are yours?