Monday, May 4, 2009

You Don't Have To Understand Everything...

You don't have to understand everything to believe in something.
-craig g. lifechurch.tv

I was drinking chai with some friends a week or so ago. The topics of conversation bounced around to random things and ended up landing on the topic of "God providing for your every need."

One of the ladies said, "I don't believe that. How can there be starving children in Africa and yet God still provides for your every need?"

No one said anything. I'm not sure if they agreed, didn't know how to refute her comment, or didn't agree, but didn't want to argue.

I didn't agree, didn't want to make her uncomfortable (I don't know her well), and really didn't know what to say to show her why she was wrong. (I was going to share my story of God providing, but it's too lengthy, in a good way.)

When I got home Craig's quote popped in my head, "You don't have to understand everything to believe in something."

"Darn it!" I thought. "Why didn't I think of that then?"

He is so right. I don't have to understand why terrible things happen to young children at the hands of their parents, I don't have to understand why people do what they do. I don't have to understand it all.

BUT I do understand a few things and in those few things that I DO understand, it's enough for me to believe Him for everything.

1 comment:

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14