Sunday, June 22, 2008

G.P.S.

This weekend we attended Matt's cousin's wedding in Wichita, KS and it was going to be our first time totally relying on the Garmin Nuvi G.P.S I bought Matt for Father's Day. We had used it around town, but we didn't have to rely on 'Jill' (that's one of the names of the voices) to get us there.

Saturday afternoon, we load up, set the destination and off we go taking every turn Jill tells us to make. We arrive at a 'T' in the road and Jill says, "turn right", so we do. She tells us our next turn is in 2miles. I ask Matt if she was right, if he had looked at a map before we left? "No, you told me not to." This is true, I did. I told him what was the point of buying a G.P.S. if he was going to look ahead of time.

So we turn right and go through this little town. Neither of us said anything, but we both were thinking, "I hope Jill really knows where she's taking us." She did because we arrived at the church at 4:15pm and the wedding was at 5:00. We would have arrived at 4:14pm, but we missed our turn and Jill had to "recalculate."

At the wedding, Matt's dad was asking about the Nuvi and if we like it yada yada yada. I heard Matt reply, "It's cool, but it sure is hard putting all your faith in a little machine to get you where you need to go."

On our way home, Jill sent us in a different direction than the way we came. Matt was concerned, "This isn't the way we came."

I told him, "You can turn around and go the other way, but Jill won't do us wrong." We ended up turning around and making her take us the way we came. (I had the settings set differently for on the way home. That's why she had us going another route.)

"Sure is hard putting all your faith in a little machine to get you where you need to go."

I repeated those words to myself last night. Then it hit me! It's easier for me to trust Jill, the voice in a machine, than it is to trust God, the Creator of the world! Jill says, "Turn right on US-166 in 38 miles." Joyfully and willingly I say, "OK Jill, I believe you."

Here's the kicker. God says, "Megan, trust me and (fill in the blank)." I say, "What? Are you sure? Maybe you need to recalculate God."

Kind of a slap in the face for me. It's a great analogy. How many people like me are more apt to put their trust in their G.P.S. for guidance and not put their trust in God? The One who doesn't need coordinates in order to get us where he wants us.

4 comments:

  1. I have a Garmin! I renamed her Sally because it was a lot more difficult to yell at a "Jill" than a "Sally". "Sally! If you tell me to 'recalculate' one more time, I am throwing you out the window! You got that!?!" We have a love/hate relationship, Sally and I. Sometimes I just don't want to go where she wants me to. She DOES find me a Chick-Fil-A whenever I need one, so I forgive her for her recalculations. Enjoy her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great blog, and incredibly apt. You're right, sometimes it's easier to trust something/one like Jill than to trust in the Lord. Your blogs always seem to put things in perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very timely and on point! Thanks Megan for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14