Monday, June 2, 2008

High School Reunion

Yep, it's been ten lovely years since I graced the halls of Cleveland High.

I told a friend recently that she was crazy for going back to attend her high school reunion... I guess I am crazy as well. The day I graduated was the day I said, "I won't be back."

About a month ago, I got a small packet of papers in the mail listing the weekends events, times and locations. I was to fill it out and return it to the 'reunion organizers.' I put it aside and didn't think twice about it; I wasn't going. There was one person that could get me to go. I didn't think she was going, I thought the 'organizers' weren't going to find her.

Then a few weeks ago, the phone rang...

"Megan? It's Alicia! How are you?" (She is my best bud from high school.)

"I'm doing good, how are you?"

"I'm doing good. Hey, are you planning on going to the reunion?" she asks already knowing my answer.

"I hadn't planned on in, why are you going?"

"Weellll, I thought I might, if you're going." (She's trying to talk me into it.)

We chit-chat for a little bit, she tells me the pros to going and...

"OK, I guess I'll go if you plan on being there." I say knowing Matt isn't going to be excited.


So because she's going and I haven't seen her and others in a long time, I will be attending my ten year reunion. I've been thinking and reflecting and wondering why it is I am so against my reunion; I can't come up with a reason. I think I just love my life now and high school was 'soooo high school.' It will be nice to see people though, most all of them I haven't seen since I graduated or soon there after. When I left Cleveland I rarely went back. There were a few people I kept in touch with, but most of them I haven't really spoken with in a few years. It will be nice to see every one's little family's; I'm excited to show off mine! I've got 2 months to get 'Cooper weight' off... As of last week I had 15lbs!!! (arg) Seems like a ton, but I gained almost 30, so I'm half way there!

Anyone else plan on going to their high school reunion?

3 comments:

  1. I went to mine and had a blast! It was wonderful getting to see everyone! At times it was uncomfortable b/c you have people talking to you that you never talked to in school. High School is High School and people do change, just go in having no expectations at all and you will have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine's in two weeks, and I will not be there. The Friday event is at the local bar (so local in fact there is still a fence surrounding the parking lot so you won't know who is in there having a beer.) $5 all you can drink draft beer is not my idea of a good time. The Sat night deal is $55 a person, and only about 30 of the 400 signed up for it. Our class was never much on showing up to stuff. I will be in town that week though and have a series of reunion dates set up with people I want to see... thus bypassing uncomfortable conversations with people who I didn't know and most importantly bypassing the hefty $110 for a silly buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan I am excited that you are coming with me. Even if you and I are the only ones there we are going to have a great time. We have one ten year reunion in this lifetime. (By the way this is her husband Ben writing this). We can't wait to see you there.

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14