Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Birthday Celebration?

My primary love language is 'quality time.' So when Matt told me his birthday gift to me was that he was taking a day off, the kids were going to his parents and we would get to spend a whole day together, just us.... I was thrilled. Who needed that nice new KitchenAid mixer or a fancy coffee pot or a massage. I was getting my husband. (I am not being facetious, I am being serious. I was thrilled.)

Thursday, we load up the mini and head for Mounds. Oklahoma that is. We'd hang out Thurs. night and Friday would be our 'day o' fun!' Our plan? There was none. Well, there were a few things that we needed to accomplish like get Coop new shoes, get Matt new shoes and sit in Starbucks and drink something warm. Check, Check and Check. We accomplished all three.

Then it was eating dinner together, alone, in semi-silence. Check. We ate at The Cheesecake Factory. Way overpriced and only a 'special occasion' type of place, but it was so fun. I had never eaten there before, but I must admit, it was easy not to be shell shocked by the bill because our waitress was fantastic, the atmosphere was relaxing and the food? OH, the food was enjoyable. I got Spicy Cashew Chicken and it was spicy and I paid for it later that evening, but it was worth it. Dessert? OH yes, we shared a Snickers Cheesecake slice. I'm not much of a cheesecake person, but it was rather yummy. Our waitress brought me a little mini wine glass with ice cream and a candle for my birthday. Very sweet. That got her a nice tip a roo.

Now the story gets rather depressing and funny. Depending on if you are a 'cup half full or cup half empty' kind of person.

We left The Cheesecake Factory at 6:30. "The night's still young." We both say to one another. So we head to the Dave and Busters that just opened not far from the factory. I heard it was fun, so we thought we'd go have a night filled with games. We pull up and there isn't a single parking spot. People were parking in near by fields that had yet to be developed. "Matt, I'm not really wanting to feel like a sardine tonight. Are you?"
"No, not really." He says sounding muffled because his head is stuffed up.
"OK, so now what?" I ask.
"Umm, Barnes and Noble?"
"I guess, but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep in a chair."
"Ya, I think you're right. Are you tired?"
"Babe, I feel ridiculously tired." I say feeling like a dork.

So we drive down Memorial until we hit Riverside. A good 15 minute drive. "See anything to do?" We ask each other at every block.
"No, you?" We ask each other in response to the other's question.

We take Riverside Drive south. It's like the mini knew where we really needed to be; home in bed. So by 7:15pm. PM PEOPLE, we were at home (Mounds) sitting on the couch thinking about our day. "Matt do you realize how big of losers we are?" I say laughing and with a faint tear in my eye. "We couldn't even stay out past curfew!"

When we got home, Mama and Papa were at the church with the kids, so we had the house to ourselves for about an hour. And no, don't you even think like that. I told you we were tired.

Tonight we are back home, putting the kids to bed and honestly I still can't think of anything we could have done. Isn't that terrible?

Oh well, I got to spend the day with my husband, just us, walking around like zombies. BUT I had a super fantastic day. I did get new underwear and some measuring utensils from Williams Sonoma.

So to answer my own question was it a birthday celebration? Yes, yes, it was indeed a birthday celebration. Thanks Matt for spending the day with me. I heart you.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad he took the day off for you. Sounds like the food was good=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt sounds like he comes from good stock =) I'm so glad you got such a great gift.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have something for you. Head over here to see what it is.

    Consider it a late birthday present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You got a whole day with your hubby, mine had to work on my b-day but we still had a good time. Sounds like you had a good time, the nachos are the best at Cheesecake Factory. Sometimes peace and quite is the best thing and very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14