Sunday, October 5, 2008

Splagchnizomai

(This graphic is for the first time Craig did this series. Click on it to watch last weeks message. I recommend.)

(splangkh-nid'-zom-ahee); to have the bowels yearn, feel deep sympathy, to be moved to action.

This is the true definition of the word compassion.

Have you ever really pondered this word.

I've thought about it, but not using the definitions from the Hebrew word, splagchnizomai.

Craig is doing the series, Kaleo. (kal-eh'-o); to "call", bid, call (forth)

The title this week, "Called To Care"
What are you truly passionate about? I often think about that. There are things I love giving to, you know, certain organizations, but my bowels don't yearn. I have been moved to action and felt deep sympathy, but never a reactive bowel. I say that slightly jokingly, but with some seriousness.

Craig told a story.

On his way home from work, driving down a country road, in the middle of no where. There was a woman standing on the side of the intersection he was approaching. He thought, "I should stop, but I'm late for dinner. I should stop, but Amy is going to want me home now. I should stop, but ..."

He didn't stop. He says, "To this day I am haunted by the fact that I didn't stop."

As Christians, we are called to care!!

Craig goes on to tell the story in Luke 10:30-32. You know the man who was robbed and the preacher passed him by.

On my way out of church, I was going to grab some LifePacks (I'll explain those tomorrow and show you an opportunity to act.) to fill for children needing shoes, but I decided to wait until Matt and I got the kids out of LifeKids.

Once I got back downstairs, all of the LifePacks were gone!! I teared up. I felt like I just passed the old lady in the intersection. I said, "Oh, there will be some when I get back. Oh, I don't want to wait in line." I walked out of the sermon and did the EXACT SAME THING!! Can you believe it!? Satan got me before the doors opened!!

I should have known a sermon on 'being called to care,' would spur every one's little caring hearts.

Question: Was there a time you know you should have acted to help someone, but didn't?

1 comment:

  1. definitely. and there is nothing like that heart sickness! when I was in college I was memorizing portions of Proverbs and a verse that stuck out to me "don't put off until tomorrow the good you could do today"

    THAT STUCK

    ReplyDelete

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. -Corinthians 5:14